Japanese Wooden Barrel Cooper Craftsman, Kurita Minoru Kurita Minoru was born in Nagoya on July 4, 1…More
Arms and Armor of the Samurai
The History of Weaponry in Ancient Japan
If you have even the slightest interest in Japanese arms and armor, then this book will be of great
service, adding to your understanding and enjoyment of samurai weapons and wear. It is probably
the finest book in English to date regarding the long development of weapons and in particular armor
of the samurai.
The authors, Ian Bottomly and Anthony Hopson, both long-term Japanophiles and members of kendo
clubs in their native Britain, have certainly done their homework, and the result is this superbly detailed
The book traces the history of the samurai caste, and along with it, the changes in its military
formations, particularly the weapons used, and the styles of armor worn. As warfare evolved,
so too naturally did the arms and armor.
First published in 1988 and richly illustrated with over 3,000 color and black and white photographs
and quality diagrams, this book is both beautiful to look at and fascinating to read.
Related Article of this Post
- 2013.09.13 ENTERTAINMENT Book: Japonius Tyrannus -The Japanese Warlord, Oda Nobunaga reconsidered-
- 2013.05.17 ENTERTAINMENT Ninja Attack!
- 2013.02.22 ENTERTAINMENT THE SAMURAI SOURCEBOOK
- 2013.02.01 ENTERTAINMENT The Samurai / Shusaku Endo
- 2012.12.20 ENTERTAINMENT Historical and Geographical Dictionary of Japan
- 2012.11.29 ENTERTAINMENT 現代語 古事記 ／竹田 恒泰 著
- 2012.11.28 ENTERTAINMENT Book; Musashi by Yoshikawa Eiji
- 2012.10.12 ENTERTAINMENT Bushido -The Soul Of Japan- ／Inazo Nitobe
Nagoya Butsudan (Home Buddhist Altar) Craftsman, Goto Katsumi Goto Katsumi is the third gener…More
Nagoya Yuzen, Traditional ArtisanMitsuhisa Horibe Mr.Mitsuhisa Horibe was born in Nagoya in…More
Samurai Signatures, Kao (花押) Samurai Signatures, Kao (花押) Kao (花押) were stylised identification sig…More
Ninja didn’t wear black! Ninja didn’t wear black! Despite the popular image of the black clothed and…More
Book; Shogun / James Clavell In Osaka castle in the autumn of 1598, the great Japanese leader Toyo…More
The 47 Ronin Story / John Allyn In late 2013, Hollywood released its re-imagined version of the clas…More
BOOK REVIEW; Japonius TyrannusThe Japanese Warlord, Oda Nobunaga reconsidered. This is a brilliant b…More