Warning: array_merge(): Argument #2 is not an array in /home/bricksuk2/www/japanworld/wp-content/plugins/wp-pagenavi/scb/Options.php on line 44

PLACES

MIYA SHUKU, THE TOKAIDO’S 41ST STOP / 東海道・宮宿(名古屋市)

2013.08.27 [PLACES,Samurai Central Nagoya-Aichi,WHAT'S NEW]

MIYA SHUKU, THE TOKAIDO’S 41ST STOP
東海道41番目の宿場「宮宿」 

In the series of woodblock prints by the artists Hiroshige depicting the 53 stops along old Tokaido
highway that linked Edo, modern day Tokyo and the ancient capital, Kyoto, the 41st station on the
route, and the 42nd print in the series was known as Miya Shuku.

 

You won’t find the area on a modern day map, as “Miya” referred to the nearby Atsuta Shrine,
Japan’s second most important and revered shrine, located in Atsuta-Ku of Nagoya City.

 

 

江戸と京都を結ぶ東海道。この街道は、江戸時代、徳川家康の命によってつくられたもので、五十三の宿場を描いた
歌川広重の浮世絵「東海道五十三次」でも有名です。この東海道、ほぼすべて陸路ですが、一カ所だけ、渡し船で
移動しなければならない場所がありました。それが「七里の渡し(しちりのわたし)」と呼ばれる東海道で唯一の
海上路です。四十一番目の宮宿(名古屋市熱田区)、四十二番目が桑名宿(三重県桑名市)の間を結んでいます。
四十一番目の宿である宮宿は、この周辺が「熱田神宮」の門前町であったことにちなんで「宮」と名付けられたと
言われていますが、現在、この周辺を見ても「宮」の地名は残っていません。

 

  (Hiroshige’s woodblock print, Miya Shuku / 歌川広重 ・東海道五十三次「宮宿」)

 

 

One of the biggest post towns on the Tokaido
東海道最大規模の宿だった宮宿

Miya Shuku wasn’t just the 41st stop on the old Tokaido, it was a major junction point, where another
minor roadway, the Minoji linked to the equally important Nakasendo, or Central Mountain Route, as well
as the busy Saya Kaido. It also prospered thanks to it’s being close to Atsuta Shrine, and thus was popular
with pilgrims as well as travelers. Because of this, the area had the most Hatago, official rest places for
travelers to lodge and get something to eat, of any station on the Tokaido. About 248 Hatago were available,
as well as two Honjin, and a single Waki-Honjin where daimyo and others of importance and rank could stay.
The area boasted a population of about 10,000 people, making it among the largest stations on the Tokaido.

 

 

宮宿は、東海道を行き交う人だけではなく、佐屋街道(七里の渡しの迂回路でもあった街道)や美濃路(東海道と
中山道を結ぶ脇街道)を通る人々や熱田神宮に参る人などで、江戸時代には大変なにぎわいを見せた場所です。
本陣2つ、脇本陣1つ、そして旅籠屋は、なんと248軒もあり、この周辺の人口は、約10,000人!この数は、東海道
の中でも最大の規模を誇ります。

 

 

 ( One of the remaining Hatagoya inns / 宮宿の旅籠屋の一部)

 

 

Shichiri no Watashi, 宮宿〜桑名宿「七里の渡し」

The previous stop was at Narumi, six kilometers east. The next stop was at Kuwana in modern day
Mie Prefecture, about 27 kilometers away, or by the old Japanese standard of distance, seven Ri, hence
the name, Shichiri, or Seven Ri. That distance was covered by boat leaving from the docks where the
Tokugawa kept their huge wooden and steel clad warships, and the stretch of route became known as
the Shichiri no Watashi ‘The Seven Ri Crossing). The distance could be covered in three to four hours on
average, dependingupon weather and water conditions. In 1651, Tokugawa Ietsuna, the 4th Tokugawa
Shogun decreed that ferry boats could only operate between 4am and 4pm. Any travelers arriving after
the cut off time, or unable to cross due to poor conditions were forced to stay in one of the many the inns.
The ferry service was banned three years after the Meiji Restoration in 1871, although recently, special
tour ferry services reenacting the trip run infrequently, and mostly in the summer months.

 

 

東海道四十番目の宿場は、宮宿から6km離れた「鳴海宿」、つづく四十二番目の宿場は、27km(七里)先の
「桑名宿」です。この距離が「七里の渡し」と呼ばれる由来。この海のルート「七里の渡し」は、潮の満ち引きや
海流の変化にも左右されたため、当時、船で渡るのに3時間〜4時間かかったと言われています。
(船が苦手な人などは、佐屋街道を利用)

 

1651年、4代将軍家綱の時代には、夕方から翌朝までの出航が禁じられたため、宮宿を出発する船も、朝一番は
午前4時、最後は午後4時だったようで、4時以降に宮宿に到着した旅人は、この宮宿で宿泊しなければなりま
せんでした。また、悪天候の場合には船が欠航することもあり、宮宿で宿泊というケースもあったことなどが、
宮宿に旅籠が多い理由なのかもしれません。

 

「七里の渡し」は、1871年(明治4年)に廃止されてしまいましたが、平成になり「七里の渡し」を観光船で渡る
ツアーが企画されることもあるなど、わずかなチャンスではありますが、当時の雰囲気を楽しむ機会もありそうです。

 

 

 

Miya Shuku Today / 宮宿の今 

Most of the remaining Hatago and Honjin were destroyed in air raids during World War Two, as the 
area was used as a major manufacturing base for Zero fighter engines. In fact, nearby concrete walls
retain the pockmarks of bullet holes from allied attack fighter planes. What was left was pretty much 
destroyed in the Great Ise Wan Typhoon of 1959.

 

 

本陣、旅籠屋などの一部は、戦争の空爆で焼失。(宮宿の周辺には戦争当時、零戦のエンジンを製造する工場が
あった)現在も、その周辺の地域では、壁などに弾痕の跡などを見ることができます。戦争で焼け残った建物も、
1959年の伊勢湾台風で流されてしまったため、江戸時代、当時の宮宿の様子を感じられるものは、ごくわずかです。

 

 (Miya no Watashi Park / 宮の渡し公園)

 

These days the old Bell Tower first built in 1676, and the stone lanterns first erected in 1625 to guide
the boats in, have been rebuilt. The original bell now resides in the Zofuku-ji Temple, a small temple near
Atsuta Shrine. The bell tower was an important past of the old route, tolling out the time. Even now,
the old bell is rung three times a day. The area is a park, and signposts mark out the enjoyable
historical walk route.

 

 ( Bell Tower / 時の鐘)

 

現在は「宮の渡し公園」として整備された宮宿。1625年に船の安全を願って設置された「常夜灯」と、1676年に
尾張藩主・徳川光友の命により設置された「時の鐘」が、当時の雰囲気で復元されています。(江戸時代当時の鐘
は、熱田神宮近くの「蔵福寺」にある)正確な時刻を知らせてくれる「時の鐘」は、江戸時代、住民や旅人たちに
とっても大切なものでした。今は、当時のにぎやなか雰囲気を感じることはできませんが、現在も1日3回、時を
知らせる「時の鐘」は宮宿の歴史を私たち伝え続けてくれています。

 

 

Information


View Larger Map

 

Address; Uchida-cho Atsuta-ku, Nagoya
              名古屋市熱田区内田町

 

Access; 10 minutes walk from the Meijo Line Subway, Tenma Cho Station, or by
            City Bus, alight at Shichiri no Watashi stop. 

    地下鉄名城線「伝馬町」駅下車 徒歩10分、市バス「七里の渡し」下車すぐ

 

 

 

 


Related Article of this Post

Blogger

Chris Glenn
Chris Glenn
Sam Ryan
Sam Ryan
中島 大蔵
中島 大蔵
山内 美鳳
山内 美鳳
Les Paterson
Les Paterson
山口 晃司
山口 晃司
湯浅 大司
湯浅 大司
Adam Blackrock
Adam Blackrock
名古屋和髪隊
名古屋和髪隊
中島 繁正
中島 繁正
キモノでジャック愛知
キモノでジャック愛知
Pauline Chakmakjian
Pauline Chakmakjian
総合管理者
総合管理者
view more

Interview

Japanese Wooden Barrel Cooper Craftsman, Kurita Minoru Kurita Minoru was born in Nagoya on July 4, 1…More

Nagoya Butsudan (Home Buddhist Altar) Craftsman, Goto Katsumi   Goto Katsumi is the third gener…More

Nagoya Yuzen,  Traditional ArtisanMitsuhisa Horibe    Mr.Mitsuhisa Horibe was born in Nagoya in…More

Discovery

Samurai Signatures, Kao (花押) Samurai Signatures, Kao (花押)  Kao (花押) were stylised identification sig…More

Ninja didn’t wear black! Ninja didn’t wear black! Despite the popular image of the black clothed and…More

Samurai File; Shimazu Tadahisa Samurai File; Shimazu Tadahisa (??-August 1, 1227)  Shimazu Tadahisa,…More

Entertainment

Book; Shogun /  James Clavell  In Osaka castle in the autumn of 1598, the great Japanese leader Toyo…More

The 47 Ronin Story / John Allyn In late 2013, Hollywood released its re-imagined version of the clas…More

BOOK REVIEW; Japonius TyrannusThe Japanese Warlord, Oda Nobunaga reconsidered. This is a brilliant b…More






メルマガの登録・解除

サイトの更新情報やイベント情報をメルマガで配信しています(無料)
メールアドレスを入力し「登録する」ボタンをクリックしてください。登録していただいたメールアドレスにメールが届きます。記載されているURLをクリックしていただくことで登録が完了します。

Japan World mail updates !
Get Japan’s history, culture, events with this free service. Register your e-mail below, then press 「登録する」(left) to register, or「登録解除」to cancel.

 

株式会社電脳職人村

EDITOR BLOG